Sunday, March 13, 2011

BRINGING THE DOLLS by: Merlie M. Alunan

Sharing a poem from my favorite professor, Prof. Merlie Alunan

Two dolls in rags and tatters,

one missing an arm and a leg,

the other blind in one eye -

I grabbed them from her arms,

“No”, I said, “they cannot came”.


Each tight luggage

I had packed

only for the barest need:

no room for sentiment or memory

to clutter with loose ends

my stern resolve. I reasoned,

even a child must learn

she cannot take

what must be left behind.


And so the boat turned seaward,

a smart wind blowing dry

the stealthy tears I could not wipe.

Then I saw- rags, tatters and all-

there among the neat trim packs,

the dolls I ruled to leave behind.


Her silence should have warned me

she knew her burdens

as I knew mine:

her clean white years unlived-

and paid my price.

She battened on a truth

she knew I too must own:

when what’s at stake

is loyalty or love,

Hers are the true rights.

Her own faiths she must keep, not I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

analysis please? :) :D